The Windows of Gosforth Parish Church

STAINED GLASS IN ST NICHOLAS’ CHURCH.

Some brief notes

 The church contains some fine stained glass of various periods, styles and makers.

A highlight is four windows by LEONARD EVETTS, (1909-1997) a well known local designer, whose work is internationally recognised and admired. Leonard Evetts taught in the Fine Art Dept of the University of Newcastle for many years. He also designed and scripted the ‘List of Incumbents’ of St Nicholas’, near the West door in 1960-61

 The notes follow the windows from the east window clockwise through to the east window in the ‘side chapel’ in the north east corner of the church.

 EAST WINDOW

CENTRE LIGHT – Crucifixion with Mary the mother of Jesus and St John in a richly ornamented architectural framework. An inscription records that the window was given in memory of two sisters Adeline (who died in 1910) and May IOEL (who died in 1916). The window was given by Fanny Ioel.

LEFT HAND LIGHT    StNicholas

RIGHT HAND LIGHT  StGeorge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WINDOW IN SOUTH WALL OF THE CHOIR

A single light window by Leonard Evetts (1976-77) showing various symbols of the Christian faith. Reading from top to bottom-

Chio Ro, Chalice and Host, Crown of thorns/Burning Bush, Pelican feeding her young,  3 nails of Christ’s Passion.

An inscription records that the widow was given in memory of William Smith (RIP 1869)

 

 

 

 

 

SOUTH NAVE AISLE, 1stFROM THE EAST

A wide single light window shoeing a richly vested Angel of the resurrection seated at the mouth of the empty Tomb. In the background are the 3 crosses on Calvary.

Beneath the angel are the words;  HE IS RISEN - HE IS NOT HERE

An inscription records that the window was given by the parents of Lawrence John Nicholson who was killed in action near Arras in 1917.

 

SOUTH NAVE AISLE, 2ndWINDOW FROM THE EAST

A wide single light showing the story of the Good Samaritan, with the various characters who appear in the parable (St Luke 10;30-37).

Beneath the picture are the words GO AND DO THOU LIKEWISE.

An inscription records that the window was given by the parents of William Burnett Roe, 2ndLieut. 1/5 West Yorks Regiment, who was killed in battle at Meteren in April 1918.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOUTH NAVE AISLE, 3rdWINDOW FROM THE EAST

A wide single light window.

This highly decorated window showing Christ enthroned in majesty with angels (possibly  based on the TE DEUM). The window is signed, being made in 1902 by G.J. BAGULEY,(who along with ATKINSON), was a well known window maker in the Newcastle region.

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of J.B. Row and M.A. Row.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOUTH NAVE AISLE, WEST WINDOW

A highly patterned window, filled with distinct red and blue glass, very much in the style of William Wailes, another well known Newcastle designer at the end of the c19th. A central panel shows the Finding of Christ in the Temple, sitting with the teachers, by Mary and Joseph   (St Luke 2; 41-51)  Around this panel are the four symbols of the Evangelists - Man, Lion, Bull, Eagle (see also Side chapel, 1stwindow from the East)

There is no inscription on this window.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CENTRAL NAVE, WEST WINDOW.

A single light window showing the figure of St Hilda. The window is reminiscent of the style of KEMPE, a well known designer of the period, though it lacks his characteristic trademark of a ‘wheat-sheaf’

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of Frances Brooke who died on the 18thSeptember 1891.

 NORTH AISLE, WEST WINDOW

A wide single light window showing Christ carrying a child. With Christ are a woman (the child’s mother?) and an angel.

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of Margery, 3rddaughter of the Rev Maddison, rector of Gosforth, Margery died on 15thSeptember 1898

 NORTH AISLE, 1stFROM THE WEST

A single light window showing the figure carrying a book and supporting a cross. Beneath is the word FIDES  (Fidelity)

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of Emily (Carr ?) who died on 21stJune 1881.

 NORTH AISLE, 2ndFROM THE WEST

A single light window. Showing the figure of Christ, with a halo of stars, blessing a soldier figure carrying the Resurrection flag (prob. St George)

Beneath is the emblem of the Northumbrian Howitser Brigade.

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of Henry Bollen who was killed in battle near Arras on 14thApril 1917.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NORTH AISLE 3rdFROM THE WEST,(above the Vestry door)

A small single light window by Leonard Evetts (1955-56) showing the Flight of the family into Egypt, (St Matthew 2;13-15)- set in highly coloured patterned background

An inscription records that the window was given in memory of Ethel Telford 1889-1952.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NORTH AISLE, EAST WINDOW

A wide single light window. This curious window shows two very different elements. The upper part is a single figure of St Nicholas. The lower half shows a pictorial scene of St Hugh, showing the plans of Lincoln cathedral to King Henry 1.

An inscription records that the window was given by Ellen Robson, in memory of her parents, Matthew and Ann Robson, and also her brother and sister. William and Mary Robson. Father and brother were the builders when the church was enlarged in 1884 and 1913.

 SIDE CHAPEL, 2NDWINDOW FROM THE EAST

A single light window by Leonard Evetts (signed and dated1985).

The window contains various heraldic devices.

An inscription records that the window ‘is a memorial to all who have given faithful service to this church and displays the arms of notable past worshippers’.

Bullman (top left)  Coulson (top right) Bulman (centre left) Carr (centre right)

Hornby (bottom centre)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SIDE CHAPEL, 1STWINDOW FROM THE EAST

A single light window by Leonard Evetts (signed and dated 1991) containing a central golden cross surrounded by the symbols of the four evangelists – reading clockwise from top left -   Man (St Matthew) Lion (St. Mark)  Eagle (St John)  Bull  (St. Luke) These images from the prophet Ezekiel’s vision of the four creatures around the throne of God (Ezekiel 1;10) were adopted by the Christian church as the symbols of the four Evangelists i.e. The four Gospel writers.

An inscription records that the window was given ‘in thanksgiving to God for Ian Wilkinson (1902-89) Churchwarden, and his sister Mary (1905-95). Benefactors of this Church’

NB. The inscription was repainted after Mary’s death to include her name and dates

 SIDE CHAPEL- EAST WINDOW

A single light window, which contains the figure of St. George surrounded by a border of red roses. Beneath the figure is the emblem of the Northumbrian Fusiliers.

An inscription on a brass plaque, beneath the window, records that the window was erected by Edward and Ann Cunningham in proud and loving memory of their sons, Edward Hunter (Cunningham) and Howard Tomlin (Cunningham), who were both of the Northumbrian Fusiliers and were both killed in action in the 2ndbattle of Ypres on 26thApril 1915.

  

These notes kindly written for us by  Revd. Christopher Wardale